Sunday, April 16, 2006

Case study #1 - Subject: Luke

The other day I started taking a series of nootropic dietary supplements. I had read about Piracetam quite a while ago, and was intrugued by the number of studies done reporting positive effects with practically no downside whatsoever. For some reason, the thought occurred to me the other day that I'd never actually looked into them particularly thoroughly, and I began my investigation anew with the additional resources that the last 10 years of technological advance has made available. Over the last couple of weeks, I read about ten or fifteen different studies regarding the effects of the -racetam group of chemicals, and any number of other subjective accounts of persons using these compounds outside of a clinical study. I was impressed by the body of research, and the apparent benefits and safety of use, so I began taking 1500mg daily of Aniracetam (which is an analogue of Piracetam that is effective at a lower dose and is also fat-soluable, requiring fewer pills) last Thursday, and then due to the reported synergistic effects of it, added a blended supplement containing Choline, Phosphatidylserine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Glutamine and Taurine, all which have positive effect on either brain-specific biochemistry or simply improve cellular action throughout the body. So what does this all mean?

From a subjective standpoint, I've been feeling more alert and have had improved clarity of thought, even in the morning prior to my first cup of coffee. I've noticed positive effects on nights when I didn't get enough sleep, waking up without the "foggy mind" normally associated with insufficient rest. I also found that I was clearer and more alert when drinking -- I went out on Friday night and had a couple more than maybe I should have, and was surprised at my mental acuity throughout the evening. This even continued through the morning, where I was feeling fairly hung-over, but again, without the brain haze that I'd become accustomed to in similar circumstances.

In addition, it seems that my comprehension and retention have improved in regards to reading. Previously, I was having a hard time with a couple of scientific non-fiction books: The Ancestor's Tale and The Singularity Is Near by Richard Dawkins and Ray Kurzweil, respectively. I've found that I'm able to plow through them as if they were novels now, without having to stop and consider what I'd just read nearly as often. Overall, I'm impressed. It's claimed that the full effect of the compound isn't felt for 30-60 days, so if it continues to sharpen my mind over the next month, I'll let you know right here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home